If you are a scientist (or graduate student) who works with anything involving the ocean, please visit this site and let your opinions be known! The results from this “virtual town hall” will shape the future of science funding in the US and beyond.
Ocean science includes everything from marine biology to deep sea drilling, from physical oceanography to seafloor geochemistry. Basically anyone who works with, in, on, under, or over any marine environment is invited to participate. You can also see what other people have submitted. (Note that not all responders are currently affiliated with U.S. institutions.)
The official objectives of this survey are to:
- Summarize ocean science advancements from the past decade
- Identify ocean science priorities for the next decade
- Analyze the ability of current research infrastructure to address those priorities
- Recommend an infrastructure portfolio that is needed to advance those priorities
- Assess opportunities for NSF to meet research priorities by complementing ocean science research conducted by other federal agencies